The Red Hat Marketplace Operator allows for seamless integration among OpenShift, sellers, and your business. The operator makes it simpler to deploy products to your OpenShift clusters. It fetches and installs software updates. It enables pay for what you use pricing options. And consolidates billing and reporting.
When you register your OpenShift clusters, you run a command that deploys the Red Hat Marketplace Operator to your cluster. The operator gathers basic telemetry data, which is used for licensing, billing, and customization back to the marketplace. All data is sent over HTTPS to Red Hat Marketplace.
Communication between Red Hat Marketplace Operator and Red Hat Marketplace
Once on your cluster, the operator creates the following artifacts under the
- Custom resource definitions — installs product operators, as well as Razee agent and agent installer; monitors and reports product usage data, when available.
- Controllers - enforces customer configurations
- Cluster role and role bindings—validates jobs are initiated by a cluster administrator
- Secrets and keys—connects the cluster to Red Hat Marketplace and image registries.
To enable product deployments and billing, the operator sends the following information to Red Hat Marketplace:
- Heartbeat — to maintain a connection, the operator sends cluster metadata once per minute to the marketplace.
- Resource list — to synch your clusters, the operator sends a summarized list of all resources at polling interval to the marketplace.
- Real-time updates — to synch watched resources, such as cluster namespaces and operator versions, the operator sends status updates to the marketplace.
- Usage data - to bill for application usage, when selected, the operator sends reports with usage data to the marketplace
To access Red Hat Marketplace, grant access to the following URL:
|Required for resource updates|